Monday, June 15, 2009

the Blue Pearl

This past weekend my husband and I took our daughter... we call her T G for "the girl" up to SF for an overnight. We have been going up there since she was 2, and have some rituals we love to do. We love Union Square, and eat lunch at the Rotunda. TG loves the popovers- well who doesn't?? and she dips them in her "demitasse" of consomme. Sometimes I can't believe she knew these words so young. Poor warped child thinks this is normal...

Sunday was gorgeous weather and we were headed to Golden Gate Park to show TG where we got married. - It's this little pond with grass and daisies and ducks and turtles. Very quiet and out of the way. So out of the way we didn't make it. TG's feet hurt and I had taken us through some wrong turns.

The cool part was that we went to the Japanese Tea Garden. Huge Touristy place that charges crazy money for cheap tea and no Splenda- (turning up nose).... (Diabetes humor, I apologize)

We walked around the paths and started appreciating the trees and bonsai etc.. Then we came to a little Zen rock garden and there was a bench with nobody really around. I started telling TG that this was a meditation spot. next thing you know, I am describing meditation, how to do it and we are all sitting there for like 5-10 minutes totally meditating. here this little 6 year old is super "Zenned" out and in a state of calm and happiness I hadn't seen before. She fed off of it so much- wanted to stop and meditate over and over again as we trekked through the park.

I never meditate. I only started when I was reading Eat Love Pray last year and thought it would be a really good thing for me to do to help my diabetes and my anxiety. So here I am now telling TG about the blue pearl and how people who meditate their whole lives never see it but some can and now she is on a total quest to see it.

What have I done?

Coolest part- she is free associating talking while we are walking, as she does, and she is telling us how when you meditate your questions are answered and how it helps you know right from wrong.

What!???

I was so floored. because, to me that is the reason to meditate. To let the shit filter away and just get some clarity without really thinking about anything specifically. I call it "God talk" because it is as if someone is helping you see the big picture.

I need to meditate more. I don't need to see the blue pearl. I will encourage my daughter to meditate as much as she wants. She's so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave me feedback or comments! I welcome ideas and thoughts about what is written here.