Monday, June 22, 2009

Chana Dal!

I want to chant that over and over to the tune of "Jai Ho" from Slumdog Millionaire....
"Chana Dal"...Chana Dal"

I have known about this little lentil/garbanzo for as long as Mendoza has been writing about diabetes- seems like- forever. It is finally time I gave it a try.

This summer I made a commitment to 40 days of yoga every morning.
I am on day 2.

But really, I usually do Vinyasa Yoga once a week at least, so this isn't going to be a huge stretch (pun) for me to accomplish. I had forgotten how much it helps me start the day off well and in a a lessened anxiety state. Having type 1 puts me in a constant state of fear.

"Am I low? High? How much insulin is on board? What if I go low on the road? What if I can't get my numbers down? " Is a constant dialogue in my head.
With yoga, those thoughts don't go away really, but get put in a corner for a while. I send them to the "naughty chair" if you will.

So along with my Summer of Yoga, I am also attempting to cook some new yoga inspired dishes. Indian, vegetarian, and the kind that will make me all stinky the next day.
I thought of Mendoza and re-read his page on Chana dal and how it is truly the best legume to eat for diabetics.

So tonight I made my now beloved Chana Dal and my numbers are GREAT!

YES!

for recipes and the page on Chana Dal go here: http://mendosa.com/chanadal.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave me feedback or comments! I welcome ideas and thoughts about what is written here.